Many of the materials used in dentistry are industry standard because they meet the necessary criteria. They're durable, functional, and hypoallergenic. Broadly speaking, something that's hypoallergenic is unlikely to trigger an allergic reaction. But unlikely doesn't mean that it's impossible. How would you even know if you're allergic to any of the materials that have been used in your mouth as part of your dental restoration work? And just as importantly, what can be done if this is the case?
Most types of dental restoration are composites, made up of numerous different types of materials. This means that when someone has an allergic reaction to their dental restoration work, they're actually allergic to one of the compounds that make up the restoration instead of the restoration as a whole. What does this feel like?
The Allergic Reaction
As with any allergen, the reaction can vary. While your allergic response will not be immediate, its onset will be fairly rapid. You might begin to experience your allergic reaction anywhere between a few hours and a few days after the dental work was performed. This is most likely to be experienced at the point of contact, which is in your mouth. Your gums and the lining of your mouth may feel itchy, and the feeling will be centred around the site of your dental work. There might also be a burning sensation, and your gums can become red and inflamed. What should you do if you begin to experience these symptoms shortly after receiving dental restoration?
Identifying the Allergen
An allergic reaction to the materials used in your dental restoration work must be clearly identified. An allergy test might be ordered to determine the precise ingredient in the composite that has triggered your reaction. Once this has been diagnosed, your dentist can rectify the problem.
Correcting the Problem
Although the methods and materials used in your restoration were chosen because they were the most appropriate for you, it's not as though this was the only option. For example, if you had a cavity filled with a glass ionomer cement filling, and it was found that you had an allergic reaction to the eugenol contained in the filling, your dentist must replace the restoration. It might be that the original filling will be removed before the tooth is rebuilt with a dental resin with a dental crown then being added. This is just a broad example, and the necessary corrections will depend on your personal circumstances.
A previously undiscovered allergy to one of the items used in dental restorations can certainly be a hindrance, but it's not going to stop you from receiving the dental care you need. Speak with a dentist about any allergy concerns you have before getting work done.Share